For Kayla's first birthday I was just going to buy a cake until my awesome sister in law suggested that I make it because it would be cheaper. Then she said she had the recipe for a Barbie cake. I thought that it would be really hard to do this since I have never had a girl before and had never even seen a Barbie cake. I researched it on the Internet (thank goodness for technology) that night and found that it is really simple to do. the hard part would be decorating it. The Internet had photos of the Barbie being naked and then the frosting being the entire dress. I have never really decorated a cake with real tools before. I usually just buy the can of writing frosting and use that. This would require a bit more effort the the can would provide. I figured that I would just buy the Barbie and then figure out the decorating later.
The next day I found the perfect Barbie, the top of the dress was painted on already! The design of the dress was very simple. I knew that this would be a fun project for me. Now, do not get me wrong. I love making cakes for the kids' birthdays. I just was really excited to make a
girly cake for the first time.

This was the final result. I thought it was really cute! This project took 2 days to finish but I loved it. The cake has to be baked and then let cool totally. Then you stack all of the layers, put a thin coat of frosting on and freeze it. The next day I finished the frosting and decorated it. I put it back in the freezer until 3 hours before the party, then took it out and put it in the refrigerator. The safest place for
something in my house is somewhere that it can not be seen. this prevents fingers and mouths from ruining it.

Here is the princess herself. She is already one and I can hardly believe it. So much as happened since I was pregnant with this little girl. We went from a 34 week
preemie to a beautiful, healthy little girl. She is still very small for her age but she is healthy and that is the most important thing.

She is usually so happy. She very rarely cries
unless she is
poopy, hungry or tired. I am so thankful that we were blessed with such a wonderful little girl!
Here is a cake that I made for Memorial day. I founf lots of fruit on sale and thought this would be a fun idea for dessert. This looks great doesn't it? Just be thankful that you did not have to eat it! I tried my hand at making a cake from scratch, not a wonerful idea. I think I will stick with cake mixes from now on!
2 comments:
Cute cakes! A key, if you ever have to frost a dress top on, is to get a Barbie whose hair is up... you covered that one without even having to "dress her." I had to learn the hard way. Hair in frosting = gross!
Kayla is so cute! I'm so happy for you that she leaves her ponies & clippies in... it makes for extra cute pictures!!!
Oh! I just visited my mom in Havasu without the kids, and we drove by all our old homes, and drove by yours, too. Brought back floods of memories, smells, feelings. Way fun.
That cake was so yummy! The picture you took is really good. Thank you for having us over and Happy First Birthday Kayla!!
Post a Comment